Friday, October 12, 2012

The Didn't Finish List 


Every so often, I don’t finish a book.  A variety of  reasons cause me to flip the book closed.  I surrender the white flag.  The reasons for giving up are very subjective to any individual.  My reasons may include any of the following:

Sad animal story
Boring plot
Predictable ending
Not enough angst = sappy
Too violent
Unbelievable characters
Poor writing
Too much description


In years past, I would finish EVERY book that I started—not anymore.  (I always hoped that the ending would justify me slogging through to The End) .  However, this world is jam packed with great books that are just waiting to be discovered and discussed.  Life's too short to read books that aren't worth my precious time. 

The following list is books that I chose not to read to the last page.  The reasons vary for each one, but rest assured I gave each book a fair chance.  Again, this list is subjective and you may find a book that you love.  If you discover one of your favorites on my “Didn’t Finish” list, let me know and I might try it again. 

  • The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling
  • The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides
  • Bossypants by Tina Fey
  • To Be Sung Underwater by Tom McNeal
  • Blood, Bones, & Butter by Gabrielle Hamilton
  • Savages by Don Winslow
  • The Cruelest Month by Louise Penny
  • A Million Miles in a Thousand Years by Don Miller
  • Day After Night by Anita Diamant
  • The Fruit of Stone by Mark Spragg
  • Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery

Happy Reading, 

Susanne 

No comments:

Post a Comment