Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The Dovekeepers


The Dovekeepers
Author:  Alice Hoffman
Publisher:   Scribner

Rating  5 Stars

I dreamed The Dovekeepers last night. It haunted my thoughts—still does. First thing this morning, I grabbed my iPad to research Alice Hoffman.  Somehow, her books have been off my radar even though she is quite prolific with twenty or more books to her credit.

The Dovekeepers is set between 70 C.E. and 77. C.E. The story follows four independent and mystical women through their struggles during the Roman siege at Masada. Each woman captivated me for various reasons. If you like tales of strong women, then you will like The Dovekeepers. However, it is literary fiction. It is not a fast read and at times can be a bit slow going, especially in the beginning. 

This historical fiction moved me deeply as I have been to Masada. The images of that massive fortress flashed before my eyes. The stark reality of this being a fiction book, but based on an historical event made it a better read. I relived the visit of the Masada experience through a new set of eyes. The brutality of the Jews and the Romans served as a reminder that this world is not any more civilized today than it was two millennia ago.

Here are a couple of my personal pictures of Masada.  It was a once in a lifetime experience. 
 The reading of The Dovekeepers enabled me to relive a place filled with history, mysticism and spirituality. 

I don't do this very often, but I actually went out and bought this book for my personal library. I loved the cover and book. It was a must have on my bookshelf. I think I am going to buy it for my mother too.   


Yes, I am giving it a 5+  star review. However, it is not “popular fiction” so it might not be to everyone’s taste. Please read the reviews on Amazon or Good Reads before you make a decision to buy.


Las Vegas Bookies Selection
We have yet to discuss this book, however, everyone wants to be at this discussion, so we’re attempting to find a month when we’ll all be there. 


Content Rating:  Sexual, violence












No comments:

Post a Comment