Monday, January 7, 2013

Heft


Heft
By Liz Moore

Rating:   3 3/4  Stars

Loneliness and friendship.  Abandoned and treasured.  These themes weave throughout Heft in a way that propels the reader forward. I fell in love with the characters in this book. Although, their problems were different from mine I resonated with the morbidly obese Arthur Opp and the ragtag adolescent Kel Keller. The story portrays humanity with its weaknesses and strengths.  It allows for hope in broken relationships.

I enjoyed I this book until the very last pages, but then the ending disappointed me. I expected so much more closure, but felt that I was left dangling. I cannot figure out why Liz Moore would write such a touching story and then leave the ending as she did. Maybe a sequel?   Who knows?

Another problem within the book was the use of ampersands (&) instead of using the word “and”.  It’s used frequently on almost every page. I actually thought that perhaps Heft was self-published because of this flaw.  I found the use of the ampersand distracting.

I liked this book and I would have rated this book 4 stars or higher, but can’t justify it due to the ending and the ampersands. I do think it is a worthwhile read, but be prepared for a disappointing ending.



Read HEFT if you like:
·      Character driven fiction         
·      Quirky characters
·      Human interest stories

Favorite Quote:
“All my life I have heard it said that you can’t choose your family, and all my life I have lamented this fact as true & unfair. But I think it is possible to look at things differently.  I believe we can choose to surround ourselves with a circle of people we love and admire & they can become your adopted family.” By Liz Moore

Content Rating:  None
  
Happy Reading,

     Susanne













No comments:

Post a Comment