Sunday, December 9, 2012

Las Vegas Bookies Selections for 2011



As I looked back at 2011 for the Las Vegas Bookies selections I discovered that we chose slightly older books.  Almost all of them worthy of discussing.  

I think my favorite book of the this group was The Kitchen House.  Followed closely by The Paris Wife and Tortilla Curtain.  

The Handmaid's Tale was a dystopian book--very different from what I usually read. (Think The Hunger Games for adults).  However, I'm glad I read it.  It would never have been a book that I picked for myself.  But because it was a book club choice, I read and enjoyed it.  Plus the club discussion revved up a notch with it--stimulating discussion.  That being said, not everyone agreed they liked it.  A movie was made of The Handmaid's Tale, but I was never able to locate a copy.  If by chance you have it...can I borrow it? 

Well, this post catches up the The Las Vegas Bookies Club selections.  In just a couple of days, I will post the 2012 picks.  We have book club this week with our Christmas party.  It's my favorite party of the year.   Books, friends, wine, food, and Christmas, what could get any better? 


Title                                        Author                                                                         Verdict

Loved Walked In                     Marisa De Los Santos                                                 Good

My Sister’s Keeper                Jodi Picoult                                                                    Great

Tortilla Curtain                       T.C. Boyle                                                                   Great

The Handmaid’s Tale             Margaret Atwood                                                        Great

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society
                                               Mary Ann Shaffer                                                       Great


The Paris Wife                        Paula McLain                                                             Great

The Other Wes Moore           Wes Moore                                                                  Good

The Kitchen House                 Kathleen Grissom                                                      Great

State of Wonder                      Ann Patchett                                                              Good

Moloka’i                                 Alan Brennert                                                            Good



Hope your week is filled with overflowing words on pages of great books.


Happy Reading,




No comments:

Post a Comment